February 22, 2011

"New" Kitchen Table

A long time ago, (does this sound like a storybook beginning?) I got a table off of KSL for super cheap. It was super ugly (hence it being cheap), but it was solid wood, had a leaf in the middle and had 6 chairs. The plan was to sand it, paint it black and then reupholster the chairs. It sat in storage for many, many months - first at Allan's mom's house and then in our extra bedroom.

After I got my piano, I realized I needed to get the table out of the bedrooms so the piano could fit in there. I got to work!...and made a complete mess of the extra bedroom.


Never had I been so motivated...until I started sanding the chairs. I grossly underestimated the work in sanding chairs. It was such a pain. I got discouraged and stopped. Even now, if I never sand again, it will be too soon.

But alas, a friend was coming into town and staying at our house so the table had to be finished so she could stay in the extra bedroom. That's when my wonderful mom told me that she & my sister were coming to help me with it. Aren't the great?! It was just the jump start I needed. My sister & her friend finished sanding the chairs (I just couldn't bring myself to do it) in the bedroom and my mom and I painted in the kitchen. It was a full house project!


After all the painting was finished, I went to Home Fabrics (LOVE that store!) and got this to reupholster the chairs:

So pretty!

When I pulled off the ugly fabric from the seats, I found an even uglier fabric! The seats had already been reupholstered once before! I can see why!

EWWWW!

But the seats are now reupholstered (did I mention that I also LOVE my new staple gun?) and look fantastic!

And after a couple coats of polyeurethane...

VOILA!
A beautiful, high-end looking table...for cheap!

You may be wondering why the leaf is not in the table and why there are only 4 chairs when I said I got 6. Well, like I said earlier, I really, truly HATE dislike sanding the chairs. Therefore, there are only 4 chairs for now. Maybe someday I'll tackle the other 2. I still consider this completed.

Yes, I know it totally clashes with my blue walls, but that is my NEXT project.

To be continued...

3 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

It looks great!!!

Liz said...

Wow!! I LOVE It! It is gorgeous! You are inspiring me to do mine!

The Browns said...

DARLING1 It turned out perfect!