November 4, 2008

My husband, the socialite & utter nerd

Last week, Allan & I were leaving the store and I told him that I would meet him at home since I had another errand to run. However, when I got home, he wasn't there. He should've been home about 40 minutes before me. I called him on his cell to see where he was but he didn't answer. I had to try really hard not to freak out. I started imagining him in some horrific crash on the freeway. A few minutes later, I decided to call again. This time, he answered and told me he was at Hastur Hobbies, a gaming store about 30 seconds from our apt, learning how to play a new game & would be home in 15 minutes.

You have to understand, Hastur Hobbies is the store for the epitome of "nerds." Instead of waiting 15 minutes for my dear husband to get home, I decided to walk there see what game he was learning to play. When I walked in, I was assaulted by the geekdom of the store. The first thing I saw was a display of different accessory books for "Dungeons & Dragons", followed by a whole wall of other video games and yet another wall covered in swords. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against nerds, I just found this amusing.

Right in the middle of the store were some tables set up for the gamers who came to get their "attack" on. Allan was with the group of people at this table. When I walked up, he introduced me to all his new friends he had met that night who were showing him how to play. He then proceeded to show me the awesome new game he was learning. He asked his opponent/teacher if he could attack him with some kind of sword. The opponent/teacher told him that he could...if he had the sword. At that point, I walked away to look at the cooler games they had such as Apples to Apples.

I couldn't help but laugh at my nerdy husband. I could only laugh harder at myself because when I first met him, I thought that he was WAY too cool to be a nerd (Male lindy hoppers are all a bit nerdy. And I love them!). Little did I know that he is as nerdy as they come. :) However, I'm okay with this and have even agreed to let him go back a few times so he can continue to play.

2 comments:

Miranda said...

yikes!!! hahaha. Brad is a geek too just in other ways such as loving to dress up and having at least 13 ridiculous Halloween costumes.. but hey something's gotta keep you guessing right??

grant said...

classic allan! uuuh-may-zing! =D